It's all about the coding. It's about hard work, and constant
self-learning, with the goal of producing efficient, maintainable, and
- Languages: Python, Perl, sh, sql
- Widgets: Django
- Databases: MySQL, Postgresql
- Platforms: Linux, emacs
- Protocols: HTTP, TCP/IP
September 2011 - Present
Lots of admin stuff, creating puppet configurations for
groundstations, Debian packaging, and building tools to assist the
flight software group.
- Too much puppet configuration.
Chief Code Monkey Inspection Help - Woodland Hills, CA
December 2010 - September 2011
Worked at early stage startup, so everything from lawyer-bashing to deployment engineering.
- Developed website from scratch in Python and JQuery (Qunit!) under Django.
- Built nightly testing and packaging system with Jenkins.
- Built deployment mechanism for building production servers.
Senior Software Engineer Campus Explorer - Santa Monica, CA
September 2009 - December 2010
I'm a jack-of-all-trades, working on system administration as well
extending the inventory system and other backend development. We're
using Amazon EC2/S3.
- Extended the inventory system to allow us sell inventory for delivery at a later date.
- Built mapping system to allow inventory from different partners to be categorized in a similar manner.
Senior Software Engineer Oversee.net - Los Angeles, CA
August 2008 - August 2009
Engineer on the company's next generation traffic platform.
- Developed three-tiered application to test match all incoming requests and categorize the request based on context.
- Extended first tier of the next generation traffic handler, the company's main revenue source.
Lead Engineer Ticketmaster, LLC - West Hollywood, CA
June 2006 - August 2008
Lead developer for TicketExchange, Ticketmaster's secondary market
offering. While continuing to code, I am responsible for the hiring
and development of team members, and am currently leading a team of
- Team developed quick internationalization of TicketExchange for the UK market to meet business needs.
- Team refactored TicketExchange for Canadian market to meet changing business needs.
- Team rolled out our auctions product to Mexico, Ireland, and the Netherlands.
Software Engineer Ticketmaster, LLC - West Hollywood, CA
October 2004 - June 2006
Extended and maintained Ticketmaster's Internet application.
- Helped develop branding mechanism to enable third-parties to give the site their own look and feel.
- Built the ACH processing layer for TM's secondary market offering, TicketExchange.
Systems Support Programmer Thomson Financial (formerly ILX Systems, Inc) - New York, NY
July 2001 - October 2004
Developed administrative applications in C++ and Perl to aid analysts
in network fault analysis and inform them of network problems.
- Extended Big Brother (http://www.bb4.org) with an http client written in Perl to measure website performance. Extension created a web page of performance metrics and pushed the data to a Sybase database. Provided https queries and built ntlm authentication using CPAN modules (all hail CPAN!).
- Developed in C++ using the Motif widget set an application that queries a Sybase database and allows an analyst to browse server and network alarms. The app allowed filtering, on severity for example, so that the analyst could deduce trends.
- Developed in Perl and C++ an application that eMails or pages analysts when a specified network or server related alarm occurs in a Sybase database. The front-end GUI was written using the Motif widget set.
Network Monitoring Team Leader ILX Systems - New York, NY
June 1999-July 2001
After a stint in technical support I was given command of a team (I
supervised three people) that monitored the ILX distribution
infrastructure. The work entailed developing monitoring applications,
maintaining data integrity, working with our development group to
resolve problems, and designing specifications for core system
- Developed in Perl using SNMP an enhanced application to automatically discover and model in Aprisma Spectrum our remote servers and the network infrastructure that linked those servers with our head-end.
- Developed front-ends in C++ with the Motif widget set that allowed our analysts to remotely activate ISDN backup circuits, take snapshots of system status, and remotely poll network devices. Developed back-ends in Perl to process the commands from the GUI front-ends.
- Developed in Perl applications that queried non-SNMP monitorable devices to determine their status.
Programmer/System Administrator Martin & Stern Group of Physics International - Manhattan Beach, CA
June 1982-August 1984
Worked on DARPA contracts, programming in FORTRAN and C under UNIX and
VAX/VMS. Duties included system administration.
- Worked with a statistician to determine helicopter survivability based on terrain masking using a terrain database of East Germany.
- Rewrote a Fortran-based DBMS to government contract standards.
I have done consulting work for a local ASP whose clients include a large
movie studio and a national company of realtors.
- Documented, maintained, and extended an opt-in mailing list system with over 750,000 users. The work involved creating new tables in Microsoft SQL-2000 and creating code for access/updates via a web apps.
- Developed an hook for OpenSRS-SF (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensrs-sf/) for VeriSign's PayflowPro payment system.
- Documented, maintained, and extended an in-house built DNS management system that used SQL-2000 to hold the DNS date for bind.
Open Source Projects
I have a number of software projects that are works in progress.
- Developed command line utilities for the Rain8 series of sprinkler controllers (WGL & Associates).
California State University at Northridge
2004-Present (On hold)
- Fulfilling requirements for the Master's Program in Computer Science.
- GRE Scores June 2004: Math - 700 (70%), Verbal - 700 (96%), Analytical writing - 5.5 (84%)
- B.A., Classical Civilization (GPA 3.2/4.0).
- Dean's List five out of eight semesters.
- Systems administrator for campus Unix and Vax servers.
- Air Force ROTC.
Stevens Institute of Technology
- Certificate in Computer Science (GPA 4.0/4.0).
Broker licensing tests
- Series 7 (95%) and series 63 (94%) tests completed.